You read that right… apparently, there is a thing as too much water and it is called water intoxication.
This was realized when Ray Jordan was rushed to Prisma Health Children's Hospital in Columbia, SC.
While playing outside in the summer heat, the boy did what he was likely told to do… drink lots of water.
He ended up in the hospital for doing just that.
Too Much H2O
Within the space of about an hour, Jordan had put down six bottles of water.
According to the report, his kidneys were overloaded with the excess intake. Symptoms of this condition include vomiting and loss of motor function.
The boy's parents were concerned when he appeared intoxicated, mentally impaired, and unable to control his head or arms, reported the Mirror.
His parents told local outlet WIS-TV, "He ran outside with his cousins and started playing. They were full throttle running circles around the house, a bunch of boys together, jumping on the trampoline.
"He had gone in and gotten himself some water. What we didn't realize was how much he got."
They continued, "He couldn't control his head or arms or anything. His motor functions were gone. I rushed him straight up to Richland Children's at that point. He almost seemed like he was on drugs, drunk, even mentally handicapped at that point."
So, how do we avoid this from happening? You need to have a balance of a sports drink for electrolytes and water for added hydration, just do not overdo it by chugging six bottles in record time.
Thankfully, the little boy recovered and all is well, but this story is a lesson for everyone, especially those currently in the summer furnace that produces day after day of 100+-degree weather.