Former Vice President Mike Pence said that former President Donald Trump was wrong for his handling of Jan. 6, 2021.
Pence shared the words during a Saturday Gridiron Dinner in Washington.
Pence says ‘Trump was wrong’ for Jan. 6 handling, ‘history will hold’ him ‘accountable’ https://t.co/WJXsr3mLKe
— Fox News (@FoxNews) March 13, 2023
"President Trump was wrong," Pence said at the annual white-tie Gridiron Dinner in Washington. "I had no right to overturn the election."
Pence said the former president's "reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day, and I know history will hold Donald Trump accountable."
Pence gave his most forceful rebuke yet of Trump and Jan. 6 — saying that history will hold his two-time running mate accountable.
"His reckless words endangered my family and everyone at the Capitol that day," Pence said.https://t.co/6plE3Wrwqc
— NPR (@NPR) March 12, 2023
"His comments came amid speculation that Pence is weighing a 2024 presidential bid, a move that would pit him in direct competition with Trump, who announced his own run in November," NPR reported.
"Pence has condemned the violence on Jan. 6 but had previously not been so critical of Trump, saying instead in the past that he and Trump may never see "eye to eye" about what happened that day," it added.
Pence has continued to remain active after his time in the White House, including numerous speaking engagements and media interviews that have led to growing rumors of his own run for the Republican presidential nomination.
In addition to Pence, other former Trump supporters considering a run include former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Former Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley has already announced a bid for 2024.
The strongest contender against Trump in early polls has been Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis who was endorsed by Trump in his past runs for office.
The latest words by Pence continue to show the divide between Trump and other conservatives who hope for a different party leader in the days ahead.