Instagram recently banned the campaign account of Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., later claiming the issue was a mistake.
Kennedy soon spoke out on the so-called mistake from the social media giant owned by Facebook.
Instagram REINSTATES Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Claims the Ban on His Campaign Account Was a Mistake https://t.co/xCiLDKCCxS
— Ben Owen🇺🇸 (@hrkbenowen) June 6, 2023
“As he is now an active candidate for president of the United States, we have restored access to Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s Instagram account,” Meta spokesman Andy Stone said in a statement.
“We quickly fixed the issue that prevented the campaign Instagram account from being created," he added.
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) April 25, 2023
“We’re now in this situation where without free speech, democracy just withers and dies. Free speech is the fertilizer; it’s the sunlight; it’s the water for democracy,” Kennedy said last month.
“There is no time in history where the people who were censoring speech were the good guys. They’re always the bad guys because, of course, that is the first and last step of totalitarianism: silencing critics," he added.
The ban and return to Instagram come as Kennedy has polled in double digits among Democrats in a recent poll. The poll also adds to controversy over plans not to hold debates for Democratic contenders.
Both Kennedy and Marianne Williamson are running against Biden and hope for debates in a longshot effort to become the nominee for the party.
So far, the Democratic National Committee has shot down all attempts at debate, angering even many in their party seeking better competition following Biden's low approval ratings.
The new criticism shows that the media is also biased against Biden's contenders, offering a tough battle for anyone opposing him.