North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum says he will meet the party's requirements to participate in the first Republican presidential debate next month.
The rules include at least 40,000 unique donors, a threshold Burgum claimed his campaign was on track to make.
Doug Burgum says he'll meet RNC requirements for first debate | Washington Examiner https://t.co/TcrvMz9F9d
— Hugh Hewitt (@hughhewitt) July 19, 2023
"We'll cross 40,000 today," Burgum told radio host Hugh Hewitt, referencing the RNC donor threshold. "But we're not stopping. Yeah, we're not stopping there. I mean, we know they'll keep raising the bar."
In addition to the 40,000-donor requirement, the committee mandates that candidates must have 200 or more unique donors from at least 20 states to appear at the Aug. 23 debate in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Doug Burgum says his campaign will meet donor threshold for GOP debate https://t.co/L3PnaRQPOd
— Bo Snerdley (@BoSnerdley) July 19, 2023
“But we’re not stopping. Yeah, we’re not stopping there. I mean, we know they’ll keep raising the bar," he added during the interview.
"We’ve got some Biden inflation relief gift cards left to give away, so people can still go to DougBurgum.com and donate a dollar or more, and we’re happy to send them a gift card,” he continued.
The tactic adds to creative moves by other GOP contenders to make the donor goals ahead of the first debate.
Miami Mayor Francis Suarez is reportedly raffling off items related to soccer great Lionel Messi playing in his city, while Vivek Ramaswamy is offering a 10% stake in the earnings of his campaign.
The newcomers add to the largely two-person campaign so far that has seen Trump far ahead of other contenders and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis in second place.
The next few weeks are likely to see urgent activity by some GOP hopefuls as others seek to follow Burgum's push to meet the deadlines to participate in the first presidential debate.