Earlier this week, we were heartbroken to report that three Marines had been found dead in a car at a gas station near Camp Lejeune.
The three Marines were found Sunday morning, completely unresponsive.
The cause of death has finally been reported, and it raises more questions than it answers.
According to the report, the Marines died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Now, the first thought that came to my mind was some sort of group suicide. It just makes no sense to me with that cause of death that this was something that happened by accident.
The departed have been identified as U.S. Marine Corps as Tanner J. Kaltenberg, 19, of Madison, Wisconsin; Merax C. Dockery, 23, of Pottawatomie, Oklahoma; and Ivan R. Garcia, 23, of Naples, Florida," reported Fox News.
The Marines were discovered after the mother of one of the Marines had called the local sheriff to say that her son had never shown up for his scheduled flight home the night before.
When sheriffs went looking for the Marine, they found that Marine and two others were dead in the car.
Pender County Sheriff Alan Cutler stated, "I am saddened by the timeless and tragic death of these three young men, who served our country honorably.
"Our thoughts and prayers remain with their families and colleagues during this time."
The deaths are currently being investigated.
The US Marine Corps stated, "[The] 2nd Marine Logistics Group will continue to support NCIS and local authorities in the conduct of their investigation."
Commanding Officer Brig. Gen. Michael McWilliams added, "Our focus is providing the necessary resources and support to those impacted by their tragic loss as they navigate this extremely difficult time," reported the New York Post.
Marines are supposed to die on the battlefield, not in a car parked at a gas station. This is just a heartbreaking story.